Thursday, July 12, 2012

Daily Reflection


JULY 12
GIVING UP CENTER STAGE
For without some degree of humility, no alcoholic can stay
sober at all . . . Without it, they cannot live to much useful
purpose, or, in adversity, be able to summon the faith that
can meet any emergency.
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 70
Why do I balk at the word "humility?" I am not humbling
myself toward other people, but toward God, as I
understand Him. Humility means "to show submissive
respect," and by being humble I realize I am not the center
of the universe. When I was drinking, I was consumed by
pride and self-centeredness. I felt the entire world revolved
around me, that I was master of my destiny. Humility
enables me to depend more on God to help me overcome
obstacles, to help me with my own imperfections, so that I
may grow spiritually. I must solve more difficult problems
to increase my proficiency and, as I encounter life's
stumbling blocks, I must learn to overcome them through
God's help. Daily communion with God demonstrates my
humility and provides me with the realization that an entity
more powerful than I is willing to help me if I cease trying

No comments:

Post a Comment