Saturday, August 31, 2013

Daily Reflection

AUGUST 31
A UNIQUE PROGRAM
Alcoholics Anonymous will never have a professional class.
We have gained some understanding of the ancient words
"Freely ye have received, freely give." We have discovered
that at the point of professionalism, money and spirituality
do not mix.
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 166
I believe that Alcoholics Anonymous stands alone in the
treatment of alcoholism because it is based solely on the
principle of one alcoholic sharing with another alcoholic.
This is what makes the program unique. When I decided
that I wanted to stay sober, I called a woman who I knew
was a sober member of A.A., and she carried the message
of Alcoholics Anonymous to me. She received no monetary
compensation, but rather was paid by staying sober another
day herself. Today I could ask for no payment other than
another day free from alcohol, so in that respect, I am
generously paid for my labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment