Friday, June 3, 2011

Daily Reflection


JUNE 3
ON A WING AND A PRAYER
. . . we then look at Step Six. We have emphasized
willingness as being indispensable.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 76
Steps Four and Five were difficult, but worthwhile. Now I
was stuck on Step Six and, in despair, I picked up the Big
Book and read this passage. I was outside, praying for
willingness, when I raised my eyes and saw a huge bird
rising in the sky. I watched it suddenly give itself up to the
powerful air currents of the mountains. Swept along,
swooping and soaring, the bird did things seemingly impossible
for mortal birds to do. It was an inspiring example
of a fellow creature "letting go" to a power greater than
itself. I realized that if the bird "took back his will" and
tried to fly with less trust, on its power alone, it would spoil
its apparent free flight. That insight granted me the
willingness to pray the Seventh Step prayer.
It's not easy to know God's will in each circumstance. I
must search out and be ready for the currents, and that's
where prayer and meditation help! Because I am, of
myself, nothing, I ask God to grant me the knowledge of
His will and the power and courage to carry it out—today.

No comments:

Post a Comment