Friday, November 4, 2011

Daily Reflection


NOVEMBER 4
A DAILY DISCIPLINE
. . . when they [self-examination, meditation and prayer]
are logically related and interwoven, the result is an
unshakable foundation for life.
TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 98
The last three Steps of the program invoke God's loving
discipline upon my willful nature. If I devote just a few
moments every night to a review of the highlights of my
day, along with an acknowledgement of those aspects that
didn't please me so much, I gain a personal history of
myself, one that is essential to my journey into selfdiscovery.
I was able to note my growth, or lack of it, and to
ask in prayerful meditation to be relieved of those continuing
shortcomings that cause me pain. Meditation and
prayer also teach me the art of focusing and listening. I find
that the turmoil of the day gets tuned out as I pray for His
will and guidance. The practice of asking Him to help me in
my strivings for perfection puts a new slant on the tedium
of any day, because I know there is honor in any job done
well. The daily discipline of prayer and meditation will
keep me in fit spiritual condition, able to face whatever the
day brings—without the thought of a drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment